Saturday, October 1, 2011

Flatlanders Marathon, 2010


SOLD OUT - WAITING LIST CLOSED AS WELL

I will be unavailable to respond to any Registration Emails, so I have to close the Waiting List

Why is it sold out with only 35 runners?!?!

For a map of states represented at Flatlanders, click here: MapIncluding the U.S., there are 3 countries being represented as well.

Flatlanders Marathon &
Bob Ring's 62K to Celebrate 62 Years - BMS Article About Bob Ring

Date & Time (Rain or Shine):
July 11, 2010
The Sunday after the Grandfather Mountain Marathon
(early and late starts available)

Location:
Greenway Trail
141 Complex Drive
Boone, NC

Weather:
Ray's Weather 
is the best source for Boone Weather.
Boone is always colder than Charlotte, and this time it'll work to our advantage.

Official Marathon Status:
Official for the Marathon Maniacs and the 50 States Clubs.
Parking:
Free, and in the same location as the start of the race.

Fees and Deadlines:
If you want a t-shirt, they'll be $20. Please send your $20 by June 20, 2010. Don't forget to include a note about what size you want. Otherwise, there's no fee.
T-Shirt:


The course profile on the back of the shirt is not accurate (the course is flat, but not THAT flat). It's meant to poke fun at the Grandfather Mountain Marathon shirt.


Waiting List:Because the Marathon sold out so early, a waiting list has been created. It will be first come, first serve. If a registered runner drops out of the race, I'll add the first person on the waiting list to the list of registered runners.

Please register just as you would if the race was not sold out. I'll inform you of what number you are on the waiting list. If that number changes, I'll inform you of that as well.

If you weren't able to get into this one, and beg and plead, I'll direct you to the dozens of other Marathons we have that are FAR from sold out. Thank you, everyone for your interest in this race. It has been amazing to me!
Registration the Waiting List:I just need the following information
Name or Date of Marathon:
Name:
Gender:
Age on Race Day:
Hometown:
Distance You Plan to Run:
Estimated Finishing Time:
Estimated Starting Time (between 6am and 2pm):
Emergency Contact and Phone Number:
Waiver:
I acknowledge that participating in BMS events is foolish and make this choice on my own freewill. I understand that marathon running imposes harm to the body and will not hold the race director responsible for any injuries or deaths that I may sustain during this event. I agree that the only course of action I will take if I have a problem with the race will be to write scathing reviews, but I will not sue, seek damages, or pursue any legal action against anyone involved in the organization of this race. I further acknowledge that running an out and back course seven times may be extremely boring and in the event I choose to listen to NPR podcasts during the event, I will not hold the race director responsible for any pledges I make to the station during my lowered mental capacity while running 26.2 miles (or more).
Full Name:
Initials as e-signature:
Awards:All finishers receive dogtags with "Flatlanders Marathon," "Inaugural," Date, and Name. Dog tags will have green silencers. Top 3 overall receive high fives.
If you would like to help out with some of the costs, you can order the dog tags yourself, but this is optional (Dog Tags have already been ordered for Rick Rayman and SGT Jay). If you want to do this, use this link to create an account. Then follow this link

- Click "1-Tag Set/Luggage"
and follow the directions below:- Click Green Silencers
- Make sure "Stainless Steel BRIGHT" is selected under TAG TYPE.
- Make sure "Long" is selected under CHAIN.
- Make sure "Standard" is selected under TAG FORMAT.

- In line 1, type: "FLATLANDERS"
- In line 2, type: "MARATHON"
- In line 3, type: "INAUGURAL"
- In line 4, type the date: "11JUL2010"
- In line 5, type your name however you'd like it to appear.

- Click SUBMIT, ADD TO CART and GO TO CHECKOUT. Before you complete your order, type "repeat5" for a 5% discount.

It should take about 10 business days for the tags to get to you.

Aid:
Water every mile.
GU at the start/finish (every 3.75 miles). There will be enough GU for each runner to have 6 packets.
Course:3.75-mile out-and-back run 7 times on the Greenway Trail in Boone, NC. It's a walking trail. Smooth pavement (shoeless runners welcome) and several stretches with grass shoulder. Pretty flat, maybe gently rolling in sections, but it's no Grandfather Mountain Marathon.

Course Time Limit:

None.

Accommodations:Getting a room during Highland Games weekend is insane in Boone. Even with hotels jacking-up their prices, rooms sell out very quickly.

Grandfather Mountain Marathon has a deal where you can stay in the dorms for about $45 per night, but that does not include Saturday night. You have to check-out by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday. So here are the options I can think of for staying in Boone.

  • If anyone is interested, I can rent out a small gym in Boone, where runners would be able to STAY FOR FREE. You would have to bring an air mattress or a sleeping pad, but it has men's and women's showers and bathrooms, a cooking area, computers with internet access (also WiFi), and television (but no cable - basically for watching movies). If men and women end up staying here, I'll open up an office area (away from the gym) for one gender to use. If you want to stay here, let me know when you register. It's no Holiday Inn, but it will be FREE and within 5 miles of the starting line.
  • If you have a tent and want to camp at the Greenway for free, contact me for more information. If you want to do this but don't have a tent, contact me. I'll probably have one you can borrow.
  • There is one cheap motel in Boone. I've never stayed there, but my wife says beware. The sign out front reads, "2 People, 1 Bed, $22.93." Here's their information: Boone Trail Motel, 275 East King Street, Boone NC 28607-5504, (828) 264-8839
  • My wife and I have a condo near the start, and I can probably let one person sleep on our air mattress downstairs. We've got WiFi, a Wii, and two cats. Please consider this sort of a last resort, but know that it's there if you need it.
  • If you require the creature comforts of a hotel, I would use one of those hotels.com or orbitz.com search engines to find rates. Boone's rates are very expensive (the cheapest are about $115 per night) this weekend.
  • Wilkesboro, NC is about an hour East of Boone and should have more reasonable rates (the cheapest are about $50 per night).
  • Lenoir, NC is about an hour South of Boone and also has more reasonable rates (the cheapest are about $50 per night). You'd have to drive through Blowing Rock, which I always try to avoid.
  • It sounds crazy, but I've saved a lot of time and money by parking at the start of a race and sleeping in my truck. You may as well camp though.
Registered Runners (most recently registered runners first):
Name Age & Gender Hometown Distance Estimated Finishing Time Estimated Start Time Grandfather Mountain Marathon Runner the Day Before

Lamin Ceesay 23 M Banjul, Ghana Marathon 2:55:00 8:30 a.m.
Tony Gonzalez 34 M Kennesaw, GA Running All Day - GMM Ultra Double
Taylor Morrison 39 M Indian Trail, NC Marathon ?:?? 8:00 a.m.
Jonathan Savage 44 M Charlotte, NC 44 Miles ?:?? a.m.
Mark Poupore 49 M Franklinville, NC Marathon ?:?? ?:?? a.m.
John Gillis 68 M Charlotte, NC Marathon 4:15-4:30 ?:?? a.m.
John Snuggs 44 M Richmond, VA Marathon 4:20:00 6:00 a.m.
Mickey Wetherington 45 M Wilmington, NC Marathon 3-4 hours 7:00 a.m.
Rich Holmes 60 M Durham, NC Marathon 5:15:00ish 6:00 a.m. - GMM Double
Jeanne Holmes 56 F Durham, NC Half-Marathon 2:30:00 6:00 a.m.
Bill Rex 70 M Geneva, IL Marathon ??:??:?? ?:?? a.m.
Yolanda Holder 51 F Corona, CA Marathon 6:00:00 5:00 a.m.
Deborah Ingram 56 F Gainesville, FL Marathon 7:30:00? 5:00 a.m
Donald Arthur M Bronx, NY Marathon 7:30:00? 5:00 a.m.
Atsushi Kato 48 M Tokyo, Japan Marathon 3:50:00 6:00 a.m. - GMM Double
Trista Highfill 34 F Avondale Estates GA Marathon 4:20:00 6:00 a.m.
Steve Hughes 61 M Chicago IL Marathon 6:00:00 6:00 a.m. - GMM Double
Trent Apple 36 M Louisville KY Marathon 4:00:00 8:00 a.m.
Bill Sherman 50 M Ft. Waton Beach FL 26.2 4:30:00 6:00 a.m.
Seth Elsheimer 57 M Winter Park FL >26.2? 6:00:00 6:00 a.m.
Phil Min 55 M Mt. Olive, AL Marathon 5:00:00 7:00 a.m. - GMM Double
Tami Harmon 41 F Yuma, AZ Marathon 4:00:00-4:30:00 6:00 a.m.
Lynne Damron 47 F St. Petersburg, FL Marathon 5:15:00 6:00 a.m.
Robert Reffkin 31 M New York, NY Marathon 4:00:00 8:00 a.m

Wray Jean Cornwell 50 F Anderson, IN 4:50:00+? 6:00-7:00 a.m.
Dana Casanave 29 F Leesburg, VA 4:15:00 6:00-7:00 a.m.Daniel Lieb 35 M Charlotte, NC Marathon 4:40:00 9:30 a.m. - GMM Double
Bob Ring 61.997 M Harrisonburg, VA 62K 10:00:00 8:00 a.m.
Bill Gentry 49 M Grottoes, VA Marathon 4:00:00 8:00 a.m.
Cliff Cartwright 56 M Booneville, MS Marathon 5:30:00 5:00 a.m. - GMM Double
Michele Smith-Harden 46 F Norfolk, VA Marathon 5:00:00 6:00 a.m. - GMM Double
LizNoel Duncan 43 F Kuwait City, Kuwait Marathon 5:00:00 9:30 a.m.
Trey Harris 41 M Greenville, SC Marathon 5:00:00 9:30 a.m.
Jay Martin 41 M Greenville, SC Marathon 5:00:00 9:30 a.m.
Rick Rayman 64 M Toronto, ON Marathon 6:00:00 7:30 a.m. - GMM Double

No comments:

Post a Comment