Friday, March 26, 2010

BMS 50-Miler (and 26.2 Mile Fun Run!)

If you're looking for the new 50-Miler, put on by David Lee, click here for the Table Rock Ultras page.


The BMS 50-Miler and 26.2-Mile Fun Run will take place regardless of any severe weather. Be smart and run at your own risk. I won't presume to know what the weather will be like, but please check the BMS page for links to Ray's Weather if you need updates on any storms.

Please contact me if you have any questions, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Date & Time (Rain, Snow, or Shine):

05/02/10 @ 6:00 a.m. (early and late starts available)

Location:
Greenway Trail
141 Complex Drive
Boone, NC

Weather:
Ray's Weather is the best source for Boone Weather

Official Marathon Status:
If we have 3 finishers (of at least 26.2 Miles) and 5 starters, it will count toward the 50 States Clubs and the Marathon Maniacs.

Parking:
Free, and in the same location as the start of the race.

Fee:
Free. Please bring your own aid/support though. Water will be available every mile.

Registration:
Send the following information:

Name or Date of Race:
Name:
Gender:
Age on Race Day:
Hometown:
Distance You Plan to Run:
Estimated Finishing Time:
Estimated Starting Time:
Emergency Contact and Phone Number:

Waiver:
I acknowledge that participating in BMS events is foolish and make this choice on my own freewill. I understand that marathon running imposes harm to the body and will not hold the race director responsible for any injuries or deaths that I may sustain during this event. I agree that the only course of action I will take if I have a problem with the race will be to write scathing reviews, but I will not sue, seek damages, or pursue any legal action against anyone involved in the organization of this race. I further acknowledge that running an out and back course seven times may be extremely boring and in the event I choose to listen to NPR podcasts during the event, I will not hold the race director responsible for any pledges I make to the station during my lowered mental capacity while running 26.2 miles (or more).
Full Name:
Initials as e-signature:

Course:
3.75-mile out-and-back run 13 times on the Greenway Trail in Boone, NC. Then, follow the 1.25 out-and-back (can be done at any point during the race). It's a walking trail. Smooth pavement (shoeless runners welcome) and several stretches with grass shoulder. Pretty flat, maybe gently rolling in sections, but it's no Grandfather Mountain Marathon.

Awards:
50-Mile Finishers receive a custom belt buckle finisher's award. Design to be announced, and will be posted here. I've yet to figure out the details, so I don't know if we'll have them ready the day of the race or not. This will be my first time ordering these awards, so please keep that in mind (there's a good chance I may screw it up somehow). You're always welcome to just order the dog tags, and instead of "26.2-MILE / FUN RUN," put "BMS / 50-MILER" (or whatever you want really).

All finishers of at least 26.2 Miles, receive dogtags with "26.2-Mile Fun Run," "Boone, NC," Date, and Name. Dog tags will have green silencers. Top 3 overall receive high fives.

If you would like to help out with some of the costs, you can order the dog tags yourself, but this is optional. If you want to do this, use this link to create an account. Then follow this link and follow the directions below:

- Click "1-Tag Set/Luggage"
- Click Pink Silencers
- Make sure "Stainless Steel BRIGHT" is selected under TAG TYPE.
- Make sure "Long" is selected under CHAIN.
- Make sure "Standard" is selected under TAG FORMAT.

- In line 1, type: "26.2-MILE"
- In line 2, type: "FUN RUN"
- In line 3, type: "BOONE, NC"
- In line 4, type the date: "02MAY2010"
- In line 5, type your name however you'd like it to appear.

- Click SUBMIT, ADD TO CART and GO TO CHECKOUT. Before you complete your order, type "repeat5" for a 5% discount.

It should take about 10 business days for the tags to get to you.

Course Time Limit:
None.

Accommodations:
It's usually pretty expensive to get a hotel in Boone. I would use one of those hotels.com or orbitz.com search engines to find rates.

Wilkesboro, NC is about an hour East of Boone and should have more reasonable rates.

Lenoir, NC is about an hour South of Boone and should also have more reasonable rates. You'd have to drive through Blowing Rock, which I always try to avoid.

There is one cheap motel in Boone. I've never stayed there, but my wife says beware. The sign out front reads, "2 People, 1 Bed, $22.93." Here's their information:

Boone Trail Motel
275 East King Street
Boone, NC 28607-5504
(828) 264-8839

My wife and I have a condo near the start, and I can probably let one person sleep on our air mattress downstairs. We've got WiFi, a Wii, and two cats. Please consider this sort of a last resort, but know that it's there if you need it.

Registered Runners:

Name Age & Gender Hometown Distance Estimated Finishing Time Estimated Start Time

Joe Sinclair - Marathon - sub-5 hours
Silvana Temblador - Marathon - sub-5 hours
Marilyn Schupbach 56 F Clearwater FL Marathon 5:45:00 6:00 a.m.
Daniel Lieb 35 M Charlotte, NC Marathon 4:40:00 ??:?? a.m.
Shannon Haney - Training Run
SGT Jay 29 M Boone, NC 50 Miles 11:30:00 5:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment